The Doris system has been a great technical, operational and scientific success. The Doris instrument, which is already flying on a number of satellites and is being considered for several new missions, guarantees users a high-quality operational service providing precise orbit determination over the long term. With more satellites carrying the Doris instrument, the system will make more accurate than before.
Current on-orbit constellation
Currently six Doris contributor satellites are in flight, and their measurements are available at the IDS data centers (not yet for HY-2A).
- OSTM/Jason-2 (Cnes/Nasa/Eumetsat/Noaa) - The Topex/Poseidon and Jason-1 follow-on ocean observation mission was launched on June 2008. Jason-2 takes on board the new DGXX Doris receiver (7-channels: beacons simultaneous tracking capability has been raised up to seven beacons, USO new generation allowing a better frequency stability while crossing SAA, a better quality of MOE and Jason-2 useful for beacons location), and LRA and GPS as tracking systems. Further information on OSTM/Jason-2.
- Cryosat-2 (ESA) was launched in April 2010 with on board a Doris DGXX Receiver + LRA, (3.5 years as nominal lifetime). Further information on Esa website.
- HY-2A (China Academy of Space), launched in August 2011 with on board a Doris DGXX + LRA + GPS (nominal life time of 3 years). Further information on M.Dejus (2012) presentation, Doris on HY-2A (pdf) at IDS worshop Venice, and on HY-2A mission.
- Saral (Cnes/Isro cooperation), launched on 2013/02/25, , with a Doris DGXX + (nominal lifetime of 5 years). Further information on Saral.
- Jason-3, launched on January 2016. Main changes from the previous Doris instrument are detailed here.
- Sentinel-3, launched on February 2016. Further information on this mission.
|Satellites||Doris receiver generation||Doris redundancy||Other tracking system||Cospar #||Doris instrument end|
Confirmed future Doris missions
The future Doris missions are numerous and should guarantee a constellation with at least three Doris contributor satellites through 2020:
- Sentinel-3A (GMES/ESA) is planned for Feb. 2016 (Doris DGXX-S + LRA + GPS) (nominal lifetime of 7 years), Then sentinel 3B is planned for 2018. Further information on Esa website.
- HY-2B (China Academy of Space Technology) with Doris DGXX-S + LRA + GPS.
- Jason CS (GMES - Eumetsat/Noaa/Nasa/Esa/Cnes) (2020) with DGXX-S, LRA, GPS.
- Swot (Surface Water Ocean Topography) Mission is foreseen for 2020 (DGXX-S + GPS + LRA). Further information on Swot website or on Aviso website.
Proposed future missions or missions awaiting approval
- HY2 Missions and Doris on board are pending approval: HY-2C 2015, HY-2D 2019: DORIS + GPS + LRA. Further information on HY-2A.
- Sentinel 3, C, D with DORIS+GPS+LRA from 2021: to be confirmed. Further information on Esa website.
- Jason CS2/Sentinel6B ESA/Eumetsat/EU/Cnes/Noaa/Nasa, follow-on to Jason-3 – 2nd launch
- A. Auriol (2012), Doris system developments and Future Missions (pdf), presentation IDS workshop 2012, Venice